Thursday

I really have no idea what the deal is with the disappearing text in the previous post. I'm baffled. Zann is confused. And let's face it, I just don't have the time to figure it out right now.

Today was a day of many exciting (in a bad way) events at work. It was the first day on the new job that I had children spewing bodily fluids in every which direction. It all started at 815am when a parent (who shall remain nameless) knowingly dropped off a child in a most unwell condition.

I cannot explain how much this infuriates me. If you know your child isn't feeling well (even throwing up before you bring them to school) then why on Earth would you haul them into a classroom and leave them to be miserable all day long?!? I will never understand.

This particular parent left the child at the classroom door this morning without saying hello to me. When I looked up I noticed the child laying on the floor not two feet from the door. Now this child rarely has a transition problem so I knew that wasn't likely the cause of his angst. I led him over to our little "kiddy lounge" section of the room (IE the book corner) and let him rest on the cushions there. Not five minutes later he was in the bathroom screaming as he vomited.

I was on the phone to his father faster than you could imagine. I bit my tongue when it came to announcing his stupidity to the world, but I was very assertive while I told him he was to come pick up his child immediately.

The second problem of the day all began with a simple sneeze. Following the sneeze were cries of "Eeeeewwww!!! He's bleeding!!!" Nosebleed. Ugh. Does it never end?? I spent the next ten minutes applying cold compresses to child two's forehead and cleaning up blood sprayed across the table.

Last but by far the worst, came incident number three. After waking the children from naptime and giving them all snack, a child approached me asking "Can I sit down.... ? I just need to sit down??" At the time I was tying shoelaces for another student, and thought "Why is she asking me if she can sit down?? She knows she doesn't have to ask to do that." About that time I look up to see a rather green face staring blankly back.

Now, those of you who know me well, are aware that I pass out whenever I have to get a shot. Everyone's always said I turn all shades of green when this happens, but I've never seen it for myself. I now understand exactly what everyone's been talking about.

As soon as I saw her face, I knew we were about to lose her. I sat her down on the ground, laid her back on the floor and asked if she was going to be sick. Before I could get the question out, she threw up. Luckily I had her on her side so she wouldn't choke on said fluid. At that time I grabbed the phone and started calling her parents while my co-teacher took care of the child.

Panic much? She scared me to death. I'm not afraid to admit it. I was two seconds away from dialing 911.

So we had blood, two episodes of guts.... at least the day ended without any broken bones.

I'll be looking into taking first aid classes. You never know when it's going to be needed when you're dealing with children. Other people's children.

DON'T PANIC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home